A photo and specifications of the first diesel-electric locomotive ever delivered to a Brazilian railroad, in november 1938. Three 450 HP units were supplied by English Electric, numbered #600 to #602. According to Alexandre Santurian, the photo shows this 1-B-B-1 locomotive pulling the Trem de Alumínio ("The Aluminum Train"). VFFLB had two compositions of this kind, each one with ten aluminum cars. These cars were built at the VFFLB works at Aramari, 13 km from Alagoinhas. The first series was built in 1938; the second one in 1944. This virtual copy of a English Electric catalogue was kindly sent by Steve Palmano, from the U.S.A., specially for the E.F. Brasil site.
Return to V.F.F.L.B. Main Page.
© Antonio Augusto Gorni