Orenstein & Koppel Decauville loco used during the construction of the Rio-Petrópolis highway in 1928. This road received the name of Washington Luiz, Brazilian president during 1926-1930; his motto was Governar é abrir estradas (something like "To govern is to build roads"). He was refering to highways and not to railroads, so its government marked the start of the Brazilian railroad decadence. This machine is nowadays exposed at the Museu Rodoviário de Mont Serrat, a small town near Comendador Levi Gasparian RJ, near the state border between the Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais. Photo shot and kindly sent to these pages by Jorge Alves Ferreira Jr., from Juiz de Fora MG.
Return to Brazilian Agricultural and Industrial Railroads Main Page.
© Antonio Augusto Gorni