The first steel bridge of Companhia Paulista over the Tietê river, between the Jaú and Pederneiras stations, built between the end of the XIX and the beginning of the XX century. It was nicknamed as Ponte Preta (Black Bridge) by the inhabitants of the Potunduva district, near Jaú. A second Tietê bridge was built, in 1939, when the gauge of the line was changed from metric to 1.60 m with the corresponding increase in train load. Then the old bridge was used for the road between Bauru and Pederneiras. Photo shot by Álvaro Floret; a copy was kindly sent by Edson Salvador Castro, from Jaú SP, to the E.F. Brasil site.
Return to C.P.E.F. - The Road Page.
© Antonio Augusto Gorni