A German diesel-hydraulic three-car unit train, called Minuano, that was used as nocturne expresses in the lines of the former Viação Férrea do Rio Grande do Sul, in the very south of Brazil. It was named after a very cold wind typical of this region of the country. Twelve units of these trains were built by M.A.N. between 1952 and 1956. Each unit train has three cars; two of them were motor cars, each one with a 400 HP MAN M8V diesel motor with hydraulic transmission, which allowed them to have a maximum speed of 100 km/h. The Minuano had 118 seats and was equipped with a bar and conditioned air. Similar units were delivered to Guinea. This photo, taken from Revista Ferroviária, shows this train during an experimental trip between Vacaria and Lages, in 1968. They were retired from service in 1981.
Return to V.F.R.G.S. Main Page.
© Antonio Augusto Gorni