|The PARSONS VALE Line
After the PV&T built from Parsons Vale to Portland, they set up their locomotive shops there. Other shops were built (Concord, Boston, and Schenectady) but the Portland shops remained the primary shops until the electrification reached the city of Portland in 1919 and all steam repairs were moved to the Boston and Concord shops. In 1946, the PV&T abandoned steam operation, closing the Concord and Boston shops (and converting the Schenectady shops into freight car repair shops only), leaving the Portland shops as the only locomotive repair facility on the system.
All of the class B locomotives are sent here for repair work. The 1941 class B1 rebuilding program and the 1962 general class B rebuilding were done here, and in 1944, the Portland shops started building locomotives with the construction of the class B3 engines.