PARSONS VALE


The Le Coeur, Terrance and Lynville Railway was formed in 1878 by the merger of the Chemin de Fer Quebec et Trois Rivieres (Quebec to Montréal, Montréal to Sherbrooke), the Le Coeur and Terrance Railroad (Quebec to Lynville), and the Bangor and Quebec Railway (Lynville to Bangor, ME).

The LT&L was always on friendly terms with its neighbor, the Parsons Vale and Termite Railroad, to the extent of jointly operating terminal and suburban operations in Montréal via their joint subsidiary the Montreal Terminal Railroad. Over the years, the two railroads pooled locomotives, ran joint passenger trains, purchased each other’s stock, and eventually merged in 1961.

LT&L history

1860
Chemin de Fer Quebec et Trois Rivieres founded.
1864
CdFQ&TR extended to connection with the Montreal & Southern Railway.
1866
Le Coeur and Terrance Railroad founded.
1867
LC&T builds from Quebec to Thetford Mines.
1869
CdFQ&TR builds from Montréal to Ottowa.
1871
LC&T purchases M&S.
1872
LC&T extended to Lynville, at the Maine border.
1874
Bangor and Quebec Railroad founded (owned by the LC&T.)
1875
B&Q connects to LC&T
1876
CdFQ&TR builds Montréal to Sherbrooke.
1877
LC&T builds Terrance to Thetford Mines.
1878
CdFQ&TR, LC&T, B&Q merge, become the Le Coeur, Terrance and Lynville Railway.
1880
Parsons Vale and Montreal Railroad merges with M&S to form the Montreal Terminal Railroad.
1884
Augusta branch (Bangor to Augusta) built.
1899
Sherbrooke to Thetford Mines built.
1930
Purchased 10% PV&T stock.
1940
First diesel locomotives – ALCO S-2’s 100-109 – purchased.
1961
Merged with PV&T.
1962
Augusta branch electrified at 3000VDC.
1963
B&Q from Bangor to Lynville abandoned.

LT&L Locomotive Roster, 1930-1966

No. Type Builder Built Disposition
100-105,107 S-2 ALCO/GE 1940 To PV&T 378-384
106,108-109 S-2 ALCO/GE 1940 Retired 1961
110 S-2 MLW 1945 Wrecked 1958
111 S-2 MLW 1945 Sold to Portland Terminal, 1961
112-114 S-2 MLW 1945 To PV&T 385-387
200 2-8-2 MLW 1938 Assigned to MTRR 1940. To PV&T 344
201-211 2-8-2 MLW 1938 Assigned to MTRR 1940. Leased to MTRR 1951. To PV&T 345-359. Retired 1962
300-303 2-8-0 Baldwin 1920 Assigned to MTRR 1940, retired 1960
304 2-8-0 Baldwin 1920 Assigned to MTRR 1940, retired 1959
305 2-8-0 Baldwin 1920 Assigned to MTRR 1940. To PV&T 361
306-309 2-8-0 Baldwin 1920 Assigned to MTRR 1940. Retired 1956
400-405 RSD-5 MLW 1952 To PV&T 396-401
500-502 RS-1 ALCO/GE 1941 Retired 1961
503-511 RS-1 ALCO/GE 1941 To PV&T 362-370
512 RS-1 ALCO/GE 1941 Sold to D&H, 1950
513-519 RS-2 ALCO/GE 1946 To PV&T 371-377
600A-603A FA-1 MLW 1946 To PV&T 388, 390, 392, 394
600B-603B FB-1 MLW 1946 To PV&T 389, 391, 393, 395
700-703 PA-2 MLW 1953 To PV&T 402-405
800-804 4-6-2 MLW 1930 Retired 1953
805 4-6-2 MLW 1930 To LT&L 1, 1956. Assigned to MTRR 1954. To PV&T 360
806-807 4-6-2 MLW 1930 Retired 1953
900-901 DL-109 ALCO/GE 1940 Leased from PV&T 1950, bought from PV&T 1959. PV&T 289-290
1000-1001 VO-660 Baldwin/CLC 1940 Sold to PH&W 1955.
Locomotives purchased after the PV&T merger
362-381 C420 MLW 1962 class DL7. 362-368 assigned to MTRR.